The Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) is a 36-unit graduate degree that may be completed in as little as one (1) year, but is designed for 15 months of full-time study (9 units per semester). This Orthodox Studies program provides in-depth foundational theological training for those in Church ministry, evangelism, theological education, missions, and apologetics. Upon completion of the M.T.S. degree, the student will have demonstrated knowledge in the Coptic Language, Church History, Liturgy, Scripture, Dogmatics, Apologetics, and Patristics.
The course of study objectives are:
- To prepare the student to research and write in a manner that is theologically sound.
- To prepare the student to clearly articulate Orthodox Christian theology in the church and ministry.
Note: The M.T.S course of study may be completed entirely or partially online through synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Students have 4 years to complete the degree program (if taking 1 course per semester). Additionally, intensive courses are optionally offered on campus as well as study abroad courses in Egypt, Jerusalem, Greece and Rome.
Prerequisites/Corequisites: Coptic 1 & Introduction to Theological Research and Writing
2 pre-requisites (P), 7 Core (C), 1 Biblical Elective (BE), and 2 Electives (E).
|(P1) Coptic 1||(C2) History 1||(C5) History 2|
|(P2) Intro to R&W||(C3) Dogmatics 1||(BE) Old Testament 2|
|(C1) Patristics 1||(C4) Old Testament 1||(C6) New Testament 1|
|(E1) Elective||(E2) Elective||(C7) Liturgics 1|
Do you want to continue your studies after completing the MTS? You may wish to apply to the Claremont School of Theology in pursuit of a Master of Divinity. Our current partnership with CST allows ACTS students to petition to transfer up to 48 units towards CST’s 72 unit MDiv degree.
ACTS uses an online application form please click “Apply Now” to begin the application process.
- General information (First name, last name, & contact information)
- Statement of purpose: In 500 words or less, please express your interest in ACTS programs and how you intend to apply the learning in your personal and professional life.
- Undergraduate transcript
- Copy of diploma
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation